Field Hockey

SU comes from behind in 4-2 win over Cornell

Jacob Halsema | Staff Photographer

The Orange erased an early 2-0 deficit to defeat the Big Red.

With just over a minute left in the first half, Lana Hamilton received a lead pass from Charlotte de Vries and quickly slotted the ball to Hattie Madden. Madden took three dribbles, created an angle and chipped a shot into the top left of the net.

The goal tied the game 2-2 before No. 7 Syracuse (4-0, 0-0 Atlantic Coast) took the lead in the fourth quarter and won 4-2 against Cornell (0-1, 0-0 Ivy League). Madden’s goal was supported by the performance of Eefke van den Nieuwenhof, who tallied a hat trick.

“When that ball moves, there’s some really creative, pretty hockey,” SU head coach Lynn Farquhar said.

Madden’s shot was the only goal of the game not scored from a penalty corner or penalty stroke. The Orange totaled 13 penalty corners and one penalty shot. Van den Nieuwenhof scored twice from insertion passes and once on her penalty stroke. Cornell only garnered two penalty corners in the game, both coming in the first quarter.

A Syracuse defender kicked a ball crossed into the circle 4:28 into the game, allowing Cornell its first chance. Caroline Ramsey rocketed a pass from Julia Ramsey into the back of the net, putting Cornell up 1-0.

Seven minutes later, SU allowed another Cornell penalty corner. Ramsey shot from the same spot on the circle, slotting it into the same spot of the goal to give Cornell a 2-0 lead.

Then later in the first, Cornell’s defense was forced to penalize a Syracuse attack, leading to a corner off the foul. It couldn’t convert the first opportunity but drew a second one due to an illegal Cornell touch. Cornell goalkeeper Martha Broderick made a save, but the Orange retained possession and earned a third corner.

On the third try, van den Nieuwenhof smacked a ball into the bottom right corner off the insertion, cutting SU’s deficit to 2-1.

“Our circle defense wasn’t strong enough from the start, but I think after we were down 2-0 we were able to very much pick that up,” van den Nieuwenhof said.

Broderick had 10 saves on 14 shots on goal, stifling a potent Orange offense until Syracuse pulled away in the fourth quarter.

Hattie Madden nearly scored again 1:04 into the fourth, but she drew a penalty shot for van den Nieuwenhof. She converted on the penalty stroke, putting the Orange up 3-2.

Then with about 10 minutes remaining, van den Nieuwenhof converted on another penalty corner to score her third goal of the night. The hat trick was the second of the season for van den Nieuwenhof, who moved into a tie for most goals in the ACC (six) with teammate Pieke van de Pas. Though van de Pas didn’t score in the victory, she drove assertively into the circle and drew several penalty corners with well-timed shots and passes.

“I’m able to connect with (van de Pas) on the field, able to just have that passing option towards her,” van den Nieuwenhof said.