Syracuse Gun Show brings thousands of war history buffs to fairgrounds

Angela Ricciardi | Contributing Photographer

With more than 1,200 tables, the NYSACA hosts its 53rd annual Syracuse Gun Show, carrying on a deep-rooted history in central New York.

UPDATED: Sept. 17 at 11:53 p.m.

Six men in deep red blazers were scattered around the Center of Progress Building on Saturday afternoon, making their rounds and helping attendees.

The blazers represented their rank as part of the board of directors for the New York State Arms Collectors Association. Doug Roberts, one of the six members, watched his work unfold, seeing history and himself reflected in the families present. He attended his first show at the age of 8, and now, more than four decades later, he’s able to do the standout jacket.

The NYSACA held a gun show this past weekend, and was one of two annual shows in Syracuse: one held in April and the other in September. Both are open to the public — the event this weekend was open from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m. on Saturday and 9 a.m. till 3 p.m. on Sunday. Admission was $7 for adults, $5 for seniors and children under 12 with an adult were free. The organization is celebrating 53 years of gun shows in Syracuse.

This year’s September show had around 1,200 tables selling, “everything from the revolutionary war, up to the hot sand war, to what we’re going through now overseas,” Roberts said.

On display were badges dating back to 1830, firearms from three centuries ago, modern rifles, crossbows, swords, knives and other artillery. For months, Roberts has worked tirelessly with the board and Sandy Ackerman, the show manager, to get to this point.

Children played with wooden toys and BB guns while their fathers negotiated prices. Aside from weapons and ammunition, bumper stickers, target practice sheets, food, bulletproof vests and T-shirts and posters supporting President Donald Trump were also on sale. Trump repeatedly touted the Second Amendment and pro-gun lobbying group National Rifle Association, both on campaign trail and as president.

“What has changed is the knowledge that the folks that come in have,” Roberts said. “When I first started, they really didn’t know much. I have watched people come in who are very knowledgeable. They read books or had fathers that taught them.”

gunright_embed

This deep-rooted sense of community is felt among most showgoers.

Mark Barry, former 1st Sergeant of the United States Air Force and vendor, said the gun show is a way to celebrate and remember his family’s history.

“I had numerous relatives in the Navy. We were in every branch including the Merchant Marines,” Barry explained. “My aunt, 1st sergeant Anne E. Barry from Syracuse, outranked all her brothers and sisters in World War II as a master sergeant who went overseas.”

For the Barrys, the Second Amendment, gun collections and the act of trading and selling rifles isn’t just about gun culture — it represents the history of the United States and everything the family has sacrificed and passed down.

David and Cathy Petronis, owners of Hudson River Trading Co., have more than one thousand guns at their store. Among their display at the gun show, was a rifle from the 1700s. David Petronis called himself and the other vendors at the event “guardians of history.”

Most vendors at the show were part of the Baby Boomer generation, Roberts said.

“It’s a lot of camaraderie,” Roberts said. “Some of these guys I’ve grown up with for 34 years, it’s like old friends and I enjoy it.”

The story has been updated for appropriate style.