Summer Guide 2017

Syracuse-area libraries offer more than book advice to kids home from school

Courtesy of Onondaga Central Library

Teaching those ages 12 and up to handle a digital camera and movie making software is among the activities offered at the Central Makerspace.

Just because school is out, that doesn’t mean learning has to be over. Syracuse has several libraries that offer programs to build up one’s skill set. The Onondaga County Public Library’s Central Library, located near Armory Square, is one of them with a busy summer ahead.

The library offers programs for kids, adults and those in between. For help finding a job or creating a resume, library goers can call and make an appointment for assistance.

Art studios, open chess matches, book clubs and Minecraft mania will also be offered at the Central Library.

Programs will also be offered through the Central Makerspace, a new addition to the library, added earlier this year. With new technology, the space allows anyone to explore coding, robots, art, microscopes and more.

Among the classes offered in the maker space is one to teach patrons ages 12 and up how to use a Canon digital single-lens reflex camera and a movie making software iMovie.

“Summers matter at Onondaga County Public Library. Our libraries offer programs for all ages, especially focused on kids in grades K-12, to help prevent the summer slide,” said Rene Batelle, a teen librarian at the Central Library, in an email. “We combine education and fun in our summer learning program, where kids can earn prizes for a variety of informal learning experiences including reading, STEM activities, visual and performing arts, and virtually anything else they are into.”

A list of recommended reading material based your favorite books is available on the library’s website. The website also offers a variety of reading resource options.